When you comment on a text, it becomes yours. By commenting you agree toTo writeforksAuthor. You turn it into a conversation.
Don't you just read thoseWordsadvance; You interact with them to better understand and benefit from what you learn.
To help you out, we've created this short but powerful guide to commenting on a book. feel free to studyapply your new skillsmoney is fasting
What this article says:
- What does it mean to comment on a book?
- What's the best way to comment on a book?
- How to comment on a book: the 9 most important steps
- 1. Eliminate distractions.
- 2. Gather your tools
- 3. Create your own key with symbols.
- 4. Read the book carefully.
- 5. Highlight the text.
- 6. Make notes in the margin.
- 7. Use sticky notes or guides.
- 8. Use the "Notes" feature in your reader/e-reader application.
- 9. Create a follow-up notebook.
- How to comment on a soap opera
- Ready to annotate a book?
What does it mean to comment on a book?
Annotating a book means adding your own notes where they fit on the page or in a separate notebook to connect your own thoughts to what you are reading or to clarify something in the text.
But why annotate a book?
- To highlight unfamiliar words and phrases (and find their meaning).
- Argue with a pointAuthorcan
- To force you to support your argument (opinions only get you so far)
- Understand the material well enough to take a test.
- To find and highlight hidden gems for your own research
Whatever your reasons for commenting on a book, you'll likely use the same tools (highlighter, favorite pen, masking tape, etc.) before taking the plunge. So how will you best use them?
What's the best way to comment on a book?
Simply put, the best way to annotate a book is the one that best suits your needs. You are the one talking to the text, and you are the one using your annotated copy as a reference.
However, to get the most benefit, it's helpful to know what to look for when reviewing a book:
- QuestionsYou have, and the answers you'll find
- Unknown words or phrases
- SignificantOthersor tickets
- Connections with other works (text for text)
- Connections to the real world (text to the world)
- Connections to your own knowledge and experience (text for yourself)
- Known or recurring themes/symbols
If you are looking for things to write abuchKeep your own goals in mind. What do you most want to achieve by reading this? What do you hope to learn?
In addition to your questions, clarify your end goal, whether it's passing an exam, understanding something better, or being able to speak knowledgeably about the subject.main idea.
You can write down anything that catches your eye, whether it's useful, fun, or difficult to understand. Add your own comment to capture the thoughts you want to remember.
When the book is finished, there should be evidence of an active and reflective conversation between you and them.Wordsinside of. And the next time you flip through the book, echoes of that conversation will come back to you.
How to comment on a book: the 9 most important steps
The following nine steps for commenting on a book are as simple and straightforward as they can be tailored to your specific situation. Your ideal active reading space (and time) will likely be different from someone else's, just as your conversation with a book will be different.
What you bring to each book is unique. Make it a worthwhile conversation.
1. Eliminate distractions.
Work in a place where nothing and no one will sabotage your focus. Next time you are offside and unavailable. Mute the phone, lock the door, or do whatever is necessary (within reason) to ensure privacy and silence.
Think of it as setting aside time and space for meaningful conversations.
2. Gather your tools
Gather your favorite markers or pens (in different colors), your favorite pen or pencil, some sticky notes or strips, a stack of note cards, and even a separate notebook or notepad. The more prepared you are to interact with text, the more fun it will be.
Gathering your engagement tools is a way to remind yourself that you take this seriously (but also expect it).
3. Create your own key with symbols.
A symbol can contain multiple staves. Using your own key symbols makes it easy to add quick but meaningful notes.
Consider the following examples of book notation using familiar symbols:
- ? — "This needs to be clarified" or "I don't know what that word means."
- ! - "O!" or "I agree 100% with this sentence!"
- * — (Inserted after a word or phrase) “See footnote/below”
- &? - "So what?" or "This seems incomplete".
- @ — "Don't let me get started (or do it at your own risk)."
As you work on text, you'll probably think of other symbols to add.
4. Read the book carefully.
Do not hurry. They are looking for meaning; This is not a race. Active reading is slow enough to extract everything you need from the text.
If you read faster than you can digest the information, you are more likely to use the bullet indiscriminately, making it difficult to find key phrases when reviewing the text later.
Reading slower and more consciously allows you to comment more effectively.
More related articles:
37 diction words to use in your writing
15 Common Grammar Mistakes That Destroy Your Writing Credibility
Frontline Generator: 101 sentences to write
5. Highlight the text.
If this is your copy of the book and there's nothing stopping you from bookmarking the pages, here are some great ways to do it:
- underline or highlightpassages or keywords. You'll do this mostly with short passages, not ones that take up a third or more of the page.
- use square bracketsto separate larger passages (a third or more of the page).
- keyword circle or fieldor unknown words. Perhaps you are using a specific ink color.
- use arrowsto link to ideas or keywords on the page.
6. Make notes in the margin.
Write thoughtful questions or comments next to the highlighted textexternal edge. This is where you interact with certain parts of the site.
you can use the...Upper limitfor that too. Or save it for quick notes or keywords to speed your search for the right page when searching for specific content.
Use olower railto summarize the entire page with key points or helpful questions or comments. You can also list related texts or ideas to search.
7. Use sticky notes or guides.
Make them more valuable by adding keywords to make your notes easier to find. Sticky notes give you more space for your own short notes, including cross-references and keywords.
With glue guides, you are limited to that.only wordso References to page numbers o Chapters.
Their goal is to create a system of tab tabs or reference guides to make it easier to find information on specific topics or keywords.
8. Use the "Notes" feature in your reader/e-reader application.
This applies whether you are reading this book on an e-reader or an e-book app. Unless your reading device and app allow you to add handwritten notes with a pen, click on the note you want, select the note function, and write the note you want to leave.
E-readers and e-book apps also have a highlight function, often with different colors, and a bookmark function to make it quick and easy to get to the most important pages.
9. Create a follow-up notebook.
If you're allowed to tag your sentence, it's not strictly necessary, but it does provide a separate record of important passages or quotes, along with your own responses to them.
Working with a borrowed text is your personal record of everything you've learned in the book.
You can then highlight your written notes and add sticky tabs with keywords or chapter numbers to create a valuable reference and study guide.
How to comment on a soap opera
Writing a novel is similar to writing a novel.nonfiction. The differences depend on itgoodyou read the novel
If you areRead for your fun, you can't score too much. But once you get into the habit of actively reading, you'll probably want to have your tools handy just in case.
If you areReading for a class or book club, the stakes are higher. you wantsabrethe novel well enough to write or speak.
So you want to have a closer connection to the story, its characters and its world.
For that reason alone, it is a strong recommendation for book clubs. You'll read more carefully, knowing it will make book club meetings more enjoyable. Plus, you'll remember the story better than if you hadn't bothered to read it.
Commenting on a novel can include all of the steps listed fora non-fiction book, although it might not create an accompanying notebook (but it wouldn't hurt). Just think about the following:
- This is not a test.It's a way to get the most out of what you read.
- You can still enjoy the story.In fact, you'll probably like it even more.
- When you type something, your brain does itmore connections.
Ready to annotate a book?
Now that you know how to review a book, what titles come to mind? What annotation techniques have you used so far?
And what did you learn from this post you'll be promoting this week?
Don't be disappointed if you find that your conversation with a particular book wasn't as satisfying or insightful as you'd hoped. If you take it again at a different time, your results may be different.
Why are you going.
- Read the article. ...
- Respond to the article. ...
- Read the other comments. ...
- Make it clear who you're replying to. ...
- Use the return key. ...
- Avoid sarcasm.
- Avoid unnecessary acronyms.
- Use facts.
You can comment out one or more lines of code in any C/C++ editor view. The leading characters // are added to the beginning of each line when commenting one or more lines of code. You can also block comment multiple lines of code using the characters /* */ .What is a good reason for you to add comments to your code? ›
In computer programming, a comment is a programmer-readable explanation or annotation in the source code of a computer program. They are added with the purpose of making the source code easier for humans to understand, and are generally ignored by compilers and interpreters.What is a code comment in Karel? ›
What is a code comment? A way to give notes to the reader to explain what your code is doing.How do you write a praise for a book? ›
“The writing was captivating,” “The characters were believable and I cared about them,” “The plot had so many twists and turns I couldn't put the book down.” Specific praise helps browsing readers get a better sense of why your book is so good.
ctrl + shift + A worked for me for adding multi-line comment.Do you comment every line of code? ›
You should comment wherever you can - put comments that explain what you're doing, and if you're doing something tricky or unique be sure to explain that, as well. A good goal is to have 1 comment for every 1-4 lines of code.How do you comment code in a script? ›
Comments are text notes added to the program to provide explanatory information about the source code. They are used in a programming language to document the program and remind programmers of what tricky things they just did with the code and also helps the later generation for understanding and maintenance of code.What is the example of single-line comment? ›
Single-line comments start with two forward slashes ( // ). Any text between // and the end of the line is ignored by the compiler (will not be executed).
- single-line comments.
- multi-line comments.
We have two types of comments here, the end-of-line comment and the block comment. An end-of-line comment terminates at the end of the line. A block line comment has a terminator and can continue for several lines, or be less than one line. Comments were called REMarks in BASIC.How do you describe a book in good words? ›
- Give a brief outline of the plot. Do not include the ending.
- Mention the genre.
- Is it the author's first book? If not, what else has he or she written? ...
- Discuss the characters. ...
- Do you think the book is well written? ...
- Was it what you expected it to be?
- Would you recommend it?
Point out something you think the writer is doing uniquely.
- “You have such a unique perspective.”
- “Your work always surprises me in the best way.”
- “I've never read about a character like this.”
delightful – giving great delight, very pleasing, beautiful. with a charming story – with a delightful story. with a beautifully crafted story – with a beautifully written story. excellent – exceptionally good.How do you compliment a book in one word? ›
- “You are such an incredible problem-solver.”
- “I'm so impressed by how you communicate. ...
- “I don't know what we would do with you and your ideas.”
- “Thank you so much for helping me on X. ...
- “You've got such an amazing work ethic.”
- “Your skills made this project come together.”
While debugging or experimenting with code, you might want to comment blocks of code either temporarily or long term. To comment out an entire block of code: Select the code and select Toggle Line Comment(s) from the context menu.How do you comment on multiple lines vs in? ›
How do I comment multiple lines of code in Visual Studio? Comment Code Block Ctrl+K+C/Ctrl+K+U If you select a block of code and use the key sequence Ctrl+K+C, you'll comment out the section of code. Ctrl+K+U will uncomment the code.
Single-line comments allow narrative on only one line at a time. Single-line comments can begin in any column of a given line and end at a new line or carriage return. The // character sequence marks the text following it as a single-line comment.How do you comment like a pro? ›
- Select some text, then click the word bubble to add a comment.
- Hover in the right margin, and click a word bubble to comment on an entire paragraph.
- @mention anyone—inside or outside your team—to add them to the doc.
- Click the smiley face in the comment field to reply with a sticker.
A comment statement is where the programmer place a remark in the source code. The content of the comment is ignored by the compiler.What comment is use for short comments? ›
Normally, we use // for short comments, and /* */ for longer.What are comments word? ›
You can use Word's comments feature to add suggestions, notes, or reminders to your documents. Comments appear in boxes at the side of the page. Select the text you want to add a comment to. Click the Review tab. Click the New Comment button in the Comments group. Right-click in the document and select New Comment.What is an example of a comment? ›
A written explanation or criticism is a comment. Your teacher's comments on your paper may thrill you when you do excellent work or unnerve you when you receive the message, "See me!" If you state your opinion, this is also a comment.What do multi line comments begin with end with? ›
Multi-line comments begin with a slash-asterisk ( /* ), end with an asterisk-slash ( */ ), and can span multiple lines. For more information, see "Comments".What are basic comments? ›
As you read the code examples, you often encounter the comment symbol ( ' ). This symbol tells the Visual Basic compiler to ignore the text following it, or the comment. Comments are brief explanatory notes added to code for the benefit of those reading it.What are most relevant comments? ›
When you see Most relevant above the comments on a post, it means that comments you see are ranked, and you're more likely to see high-quality comments that are relevant to you. This means that you're more likely to see the following at the top: Comments or reactions from your friends.What are the three parts of a comment? ›
- Introduction: defining the problem. Use the introduction to get the reader's attention and interest in the topic. ...
- Opinion and Reasons. Give reasons for your opinion. ...
- Conclusion. Summarize the most important arguments that best support your opinion.
Comments in Python are identified with a hash symbol, #, and extend to the end of the line. Hash characters in a string are not considered comments, however. There are three ways to write a comment - as a separate line, beside the corresponding statement of code, or as a multi-line comment block.Which of the following is not a correct way of commenting? ›
Answer: c)/* This is also a comment/* More comments */*/ is not a correct way of commenting.What is an example of comment? ›
A comment is something that you say which expresses your opinion of something or which gives an explanation of it. He made his comments at a news conference. He made his comments at a news conference. If you commenton something, you give your opinion about it or you give an explanation for it.How do you comment positive or REMark? ›
- Well done!
- Nice work!
- Good stuff!
- Great job!
- Very professional!
- Impressive work!
- First class!
- Cracking performance!
Structure and Content
Use the introduction to get the reader's attention and interest in the topic. Define the problem you are going to discuss and provide a short overview on what you think and why. Summarize the most important arguments that best support your opinion.
The single line comment is //. Everything from the // to the end of the line is a comment. To mark an entire region as a comment, use /* to start the comment and */ to end the comment. * This is a block comment.What are 4 examples of positive words? ›
- I admire you. Super positive people are appreciative. ...
- You can do it. Super positive people are supportive. ...
- I value you. Super positive people are caring. ...
- You can count on me. Super positive people are collaborative. ...
- I believe in you. ...
- You are kind. ...
- I trust you. ...
- You are smart.
"Lead from the heart, not the head." "Always find opportunities to make someone smile, and to offer random acts of kindness in everyday life." "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness." "The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts."